Friday, August 15, 2008

First Blog, First Post, Big Deal

I have never, ever blogged for myself. I have blogged on other people's sites. Ostensibly that was for myself but I always had to keep in mind, the audience. What a drag. Like on DKos, where one would state something as innocuous as "Iraqis fighting the American army are just freedom fighters fighting for their nation." You would expect at least one person backing you up.

Oh, yes, this happened about a year ago where the sentiment I just espoused was poo-pooed into the nether regions of one's 'progressive liberal' mind. Now, this sentiment is more than ok and the progressive liberal mind of the American can handle such a thought. Yes, it is small and petty of me to bring this up but it brings me to the larger point; expressing unpopular ideas even though you are most assuredly are right.

This approach takes equal measure arrogance, but balanced out nicely that you will in fact be called all sorts of names. "Asshole," "delusional," "Troll (what, troll for common sense, yeesh)," and the nicest one being, "not a troll just very confused."

So, from my little lesson, I think we can gather that expressing unpopular views will get you negative reactions. And when those unpopular views become mainstream thought, don't brag about it. The smug satisfaction I feel does not have a topper to being this right. Besides, it's so called unpopular opinions that are right (has to be right, you can't just say things willy nilly now) that will get people into actually thinking, "yeah, maybe that asshole was right about it."

Or most likely, they will have forgotten what you said, post your thought as their thought and collect all the kudos you think you ought to have. But that's not important. Your idea, your thought, your thesis, is or was out there for everyone to read. To reject, to deny, or to perhaps one day seep into their subconscious and let them tell a bigger, wider, audience than you could have at the time.

Didn't know where I was going with this but I liked where it ended up. Next up: How to know you're right. Maybe down the road, for that one.

No comments: